The School aims at an globally-opened education and research institution in fisheries with sprit of enterprise which creates a culture leading the world in the activities in the tropical and subtropical waters and contributes to local and international communities by producing manpower who have gained expert knowledge in the fields of sustainable production and rational utilisation of fishery resources and conservation and management of the aquatic environment, have attained rich global and ethical views and promoting researches on local and global issues, with a focus on the aquatic fields from Kagoshima toward the Southeast Asia and the South Pacific.
The Faculty produces high-quality fishery manpower who have gained global level knowledge and expertise in the fields of sustainable production and rational utilisation of fishery resources and conservation and management of the aquatic environment, can participate in creation of culture leading the world activities in the field of tropical and subtropical waters and can contribute to the local and international communities, with a focus on the aquatic fields from Kagoshima toward the Southeast Asia and the South Pacific
We develop human resources in the field of fisheries with high ability about the following items
(1)to have acquired specialty knowledge necessary for high-quality fisheries personnel capable in the field of resources, environment and food both in regional and international aspects integrally.
(2)to have acquired sufficient basic ability to be able to learn by oneself throughout the life.
(2.1)to have extensive and latest fundamental knowledge in fisheries science and adaptability to challenge new approaches
(2.2)to have manoeuvrability in English necessary for as high-quality fisheries personnel.
(3)to have studied the process of survey and researches
(3.1)to have knowledge and experiences as prerequisites to study the process of survey and researches
(3.2)to have advanced ability to plan surveys and researches
(3.3)to have acquired the methods to use advanced devices of surveys and researches
(3.4)to have advanced ability in information collection and data analysis.
(3.5)to possess the presentation and report-writing ability
(4)to have developed the ability to understand, utilise and summarise results of surveys and researches
(5)to have strengthened practical ability in the field and job-ability
(1) to offer subjects to obtain systematically specialty knowledge appropriate to the master degree reflecting the characters and strengths of Kagoshima University,
a. International Linkage Course on Tropical Fisheries: to offer high-quality subjects on tropical fisheries through international linkage with overseas universities,
(2) to offer subjects to develop fundamental academic capabilities and ability for self-study,
(a) to offer subjects to obtain broad and latest knowledge fundamental in fisheries science,
a. Foreign Student Program: to offer subjects to understand fisheries science overall,
(b) to offer subjects to attain the ability in English to operate specialty knowledge required for high-quality fishery personnel,
a. International Linkage Course on Tropical Fisheries: to offer subjects to attain the ability to read, listen and express in English regarding fishery science overall at the undergraduate level and experiences,
(3) to offer subjects to study the process of overall utilisation of surveys and researches,
(a) to offer subjects to obtain experiences and knowledge which form the basis to study the process of surveys and researches,
a. International Linkage Course on Tropical Fisheries: to offer subjects to understand the tropical and sub-tropical fishery industry and to be exposed to experiences of collaboration in the international society,
b. Foreign Student Program: to offer subjects to understand the methodology and process of researches through integration of contents of scientific papers relevant to specialty fields,
(b) to offer subjects to obtain high capability to formulate a plan of surveys and researches,
(c) to offer subjects to attain the methodologies for use of the latest devices for researches and analysis and for field surveys,
(d) to offer subjects to develop capability in information collection and data analysis,
(4) to offer subjects to obtain integrated ability to prepare a scientific paper, and
(5) to offer subjects to strengthen field application capabilities and work expertise (for all students excluding foreign students).
The criterion to judge a master degree thesis
A thesis shall set an appropriate research issue, have made an appropriate research plan, have used devices etc. suitable to the issue, have analysed data appropriately, have obtained conclusion through logical consideration and be completed as a paper publishable in an academic journal.
Image of human resources sought
(1) Persons who sympathise with educational goal of the Postgraduate School of Fisheries and have the ability to think and strong will to realise the goal,
(2) Persons who understand the utilisation of fishery resources and the present conditions and problems of the aquatic environment, and endeavour to study and sove the issues and solve those problems,
(3) Persons who do not spare an effort in learning and who have strong will to acquire the knowledge and ability in order to play an active part in the globalising intra- and international communities, and
(4) Persons who face difficulties with ambition and have the will to contribute to the future with a global view.
Candidates for the Tropical Fisheries with International Linkage Course should, in addition to above, have strong will to strengthen understanding of the fisheries industry and culture Southeast Asian countries and to enhance the communication skills in English.
At the Foreign Student Program, foreign students who want to study Japanese fisheries sciences only in English and attain the high ability for researches.
Expected Academic Ability
(1) It is necessary to have the knowledge and ability in survey, experiments and analysis at the undergraduate grade in one of the sciences such as aquatic sciences, and sciences on fisheries resources production and aquaculture, fisheries food and advanced utilisation of aquatic resources, conservation of aquatic environment, and relevant human activities and socio-economic relationship.
(2) Candidates for the Tropical Fisheries with International Linkage Course need, in addition to above, high English skill in order to take the specialty subjects taught in English, to participate in collaboration with foreign universities and to study overseas.